Instagram: @iDropHits

The One Thing New Parents Should Know


Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Sometimes, I have this imaginary conversation with an imaginary friend who is days from giving birth to her first child. In this fictional scenario, we are huddled at a small table in a coffee shop and she, my fictional friend who is about to pop, shifts uncomfortably in her wooden chair and plucks errant blueberry muffin crumbs from her cleavage.

She asks me for advice. Because I have been there -- three times now -- and my kids seem healthy and happy. To her, I am a relatively seasoned member of the Mother Species and she wants me to share the secrets. She asks me one question as she traces small circles around her bulging belly button, just one part of her anatomy that will never be the same.

Keep Reading: The Truth About Parenthood
20 Parenting Lessons From An 'Older' Dad
The Most Popular Baby Names In England
Seventh Graders' Sex Questions: Innocent And Awkward
Airline 'Loses' 10-Year-Old Girl Who Was Flying Alone
Why I'm Glad That My Son Isn't Athletic
BLOG POSTS
Lisa Belkin: Louise Mensch: Britain's Anne-Marie Slaughter Can't Have It All, Either
Anne-Marie Slaughter, it seems, has a British counterpart, Louise Mensch, who was a Conservative member of Parliament until last week when she submitted her letter of resignation to Prime Minister David Cameron.
Jennifer Cowie King: Sex in the Midst of Legos and Cookie Crumbs
No one advises you that having children can kill your sex life. Or, if they do, you don't believe them. Surely they're exaggerating? They are not.
Ricky Choi, MD, MPH: Interview with a Kindergartener
In the midst of the frenzy, hopes and expectations of the new school year, perhaps the best advice we can all follow is to relax and listen to our children.
Liz Kozak: 7 Things the Spice Girls Reunion Made Me Realize About My Daughter
As I watched the Spice Girls do their thing on my TV, I could hear my 10-month-old snoring in the next room. To her, they exist exclusively as a "reunion." It made me realize a few things about how different our universes are.
Gina Cicatelli Ciagne, CLC : Breastfeeding Safely: Boosting Supply in a Time of Demand
More and more nursing moms are turning to drugs to help them produce more milk. This form of "extreme breastfeeding" is becoming more popular -- but is it worth the risk?

If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.


No comments:

Post a Comment